Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Celebrate The BABY

I've been going through old baby pictures, my moms, dads, grandparents, sisters, brother, niece, and nephews.  Something about babies, so beautiful.  It's almost Christmas so I started thinking about that special baby.  Jesus!  Why is ist we celebrate Jesus' birthday so diffrently from other holidays?  When it's time to honor historical figures who have a day set aside for them, we don't think about them as babies.  We don't have pictures of cute little Abe Lincoln in his log cabin.  We remember his contributions as an adult.  But I think it is proper to celebrate Jesus as a child.  Think about it, when he was born the shepards and wise men came to honor him.  These people had no idea what Christ would eventually accomplish as an adult.  But they were right in doing what they did because Jesus' birthd was the most remarkable even in human history, if I could go back to one event in history I think that's what I'd want to go back to.  How amazing!  God in human form.  The Creator of the universe visiting this planet.  I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas, I hope we never hesitate to celebrate this baby at Christmas, stand in awe of the tiny baby who had created His worshipers.  Then stepped back in wonder, for the story gets even better.  This baby grew into manhood, lived a perfect life, and willingly died for our sins.  This makes Christmas complete for me.  Someone sent me a nice Christmas card today it said.  "Every time a hnad reaches out to help another... that is Christmas.  Every time someone puts anger aside and strives for understanding... that is Christmas.  Every time poeple forget their diffreces and realize their love for each other... that is Christmas."  I liked those thoughts too!  I've been thinking a lot about the real meaning of Christmas.  Last year me and my friend Ginni went and saw "The Passion of Jesus Christ",  so guess I've also been thinking about how He was born to die.  Guess my mind is full when I start to think about it all, the big picture so to speak.  Bless everyone, I can't wait to get home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, Derek, this is so awesome.  Just remembering that babe in Bethlehem puts a warm glow in one's heart.  If we could all feel like this, there would be "peace on earth."   I can't wait for you to get home!  Godspeed, Derek.  Enjoy the blessings of the season...Hugs, gloria