Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Pain

Pain is a strange thing. It was all consuming for me for the first few days. No peace, just good painpills, lots of sleep and doctors visit. Then came a little depression, because all I could think about was the pain, and spending my vacation in bed. Then somehow I noticed there were breaks in the pain, it wasn't 100% of the day in pain, I had little breaks where it wasn't quite as bad. Only I really couldn't focus on much during that time. Finally the pain broke, or lessened. I'm still not at 100% but I'm getting there day by day. Strange from going to running 8 miles one day and then the next week not even being able to walk a mile without really hurting. That's what I tried to do yesterday. I did find a nice book called "Making All Things New" by Henri J.M. Nouwen which was some good nourishment for my soul. I found my quiet time I had so been searching for, although I had rather been doing a 100 things if I could. I started back on my first day back to work today! I'd like to say it was wonderful being back! In ways it was, everyone really seemed to miss me! Or at least everyone kept telling me that all day. I took today like I've been taking every day. I had a few hours of really bad pain, but somehow managed to get through it. Thank goodness for a long lunch break where I had time to lay on some ice. It was really beautiful today weather wise, I sure miss running. If things go good I may try a slow jog on Friday for a ways, we'll see how it goes, if not I'm not going to worry about it. My day got really good when I made it home to a nice and clean spotless house. Mike is trying to start his own business cleaning houses. So he actually showed me he does know how to clean. I don't think I've ever seen the house look quite so nice. Candles lit and everything. If only my back was a little better I would have jumped him. But he's being quite patient with me and the ole back. He's going to be calling me grandpa soon. I took us out for dinner at Qdoba, a nice little mexican place. Got back home took a relaxing bath, and laid on some ice again. So thought I'd take a few moments and make a entry. Hope everyone is having a great week.

Here's a fun website that you can check and see which celebrity you look most like.  It's kind of fun, and will make you laugh.  http://www.myheritage.com/FP/Company/tryFaceRecognition.php?s=1&u=g0&lang=EN

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Derek,
I hope your back is well soon!
I know what your going through.
Back pain is part of my life as well.
Love you!
Connie

Anonymous said...

hope your back is better soon.  Come visit and I will give you a massage!
Becky

Anonymous said...

bit I do not think I look at all like Charlie Chaplin!!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Glad you are starting to have moments without pain and being able to get back to things..That is a good business to start for Mike...I always ahve wanted someone to come and clean for me.

Anonymous said...

Pain is so all consuming. Do not overdo or the pain could become a part of your life that willnot go away.

Anonymous said...

I hope your feeling better Derek.
Carol