Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Quiet time

I've been asking myself tonight what brings me back to my heart.  I think we have a two dimensional version of this which we call our "quiet times".  I find it hard at times to find my quiet times.  Sometimes it's about as hard to find my quiet times as it is to floss my teeth.  I need to do that too.  But when I do find my quiet times, I realize the greater picture.  I need my quiet times for survival.    I think at times I give a halfhearted attempt at the spiritual disciplines when the only reason we have is that we "ought to".  But I'm becoming more and more convinced I have to have it.  Time each day with God isn't about academic study or getting through a certain amount of scripture or any of that.  It's more about a connection for me.  Maybe it's His heart I'm trying to get back too.

 

What brings you back to your heart and the heart of God?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What brings me back to my heart and the heart of God is when I go off by myself, get quiet, and just listen. It is the most awesome thing in the world to be able to hear what God speaks to one's heart. Hugs, my friend. *Barb*

Anonymous said...

Good question..hmmmm...Being honest with myself.... and staying close-by to God so I always stay in His heart without leaving.
Carol

Anonymous said...

what brings you back .....  its love my friend trust in that ..

Anonymous said...

Hello Derek,
It is nice to finally be able to respond to your comments in my journal.  Due to financial problems I was forced to go off line.  I believe we all know what that is like. After reading your comment I became curious about who you are.  I went to your journal and discovered you are an incredible person.
You are a very intellegent person, and your openness is inspiring to me.  I, like yourself am an avid writer.  I have been since I learned the process.  I have shared parts of my journals with loved one's, but never with the world.  Now, because I found the courage I have discovered wonderful people like yourself.
Do you realize that everyday that you share whom you are with others, you are living as Jesus, and God said we should live.  Your kind heart is so open, even though the threat of harm always looms in the distance.  I too, live by my heart, and at times it has been terrifying.  However, the rewards I now reap in my relationship with my husband whom I met when I was almost thirty far out way the suffering I had to experience to get to this point.  I guess it is kind of like child birth.  It took me 30 years to find the right heart to share my life with, and it was worth the adventure.
Thanks to all of the places my adventure took me to my children refer to me as a Yankahickabilly.  I was born in Chicago, raised in Arkansas, and have resided for the last ten years in Texas.  So when you take a Yankee, a Hillbilly, and Hick, or Red Neck, you get me.  A Yankahickabilly.
My family tells me that I am a unique person, but I disagree.  The reason I disagree is because I keep encountering others who feel as I do, and at last I have others to share my heart with.
Now that I am back online I will continue to write in my journals, and believe me over the last couple months there has been allot going on, so I have allot of catching up to do.
I hope to hear from