Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day

Well it's Valentines day and what better thing to write on than Love. Just that word means something so great! What comes to my mind? Many things. Songs, Family, Mike, and most of all the greatest love of all. The love Jesus gave to all of us. Sacrificial Love.  What does it mean to lay down our lives for Christ or our friends? I think of the one thing that Jesus asked of us. This was his commandment. First he said, "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you". Then He described the fullest extent of such love: "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends" Now I ask myself how much I love? Jesus died willingly for us and we should be willing to die for Him and our friends. He also added, "You are My friends if you do whatever I comand you". He didn't say we're His friends only if we die for Him. We are His friends if we obey Him. In God's eyes, obeying Him as a living sacraifice is the way we lay down our life for Him. Just the same we may not have to die for our friends, but there are other ways to make sacrafices for them. There is a show I watch every week with Mike it's called "Extreme Makeover, Home Edition". They lay down a plan to help a needy family, they make provisions and help them in such a big and meaningful way. I think this show is one of the greatest shows on t.v. now that show's what it's all about. Such sacrafices, even if they are great or small can be powerful way to lay down our lives for our friends-if we sacrafice willingly and in the spirit of that love burning inside each of us. Happy Valentine's Day everyone! To all the hearts of J-land, and everyone else on the planet!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines to you too. Home Extreme Makeovers is also my favorite t.v. show. Every time I watch, it reminds me how blessed I am. It's amazing what hardships people are forced to endure right here in the U.S.A. My heart goes out to the children most of all.
God Bless.
TiasNme

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines's Day to you too, Derek. This is a wonderful entry. *Barb*

Anonymous said...

awww, neat!
V

Anonymous said...

I looove Extreme Makeover! It does not fail to make me cry every episode. You are right, this day is not just for sweethearts. It is the day to show our love to everybody.