Monday, November 21, 2005

John's Weekend Assignment.

Weekend Assignment #86: Thankfully Remembered


Next Thursday is Thanksgiving, and, frankly, I don't expect to see too many of you around here on that day, so I thought I'd post a Thanksgiving-themed Weekend Assignment this Thursday:

Weekend Assignment #86: Who are you thankful for -- who you won't be able to spend this Thanksgiving with? This is a chance to tell us about the people you care about who will be far away from you this holiday, or who have passed on but remain in your heart.

Well the one that is still in my life, is Mike, he's working the day before Thanksgiving, and after, so he's not going to be able to make it to Georgia with me.  I'm thankful that his mom and him talked this week after many months of not talking.  So this is good.  I'm heading to Georgia Wednesday so am looking so forward to seeing everyone.  The people I am thankful for but won't get to spend Thanksgiving with, my grandparents.  Thanksgiving memories always bring them to life for me and my family, we often sit and revisit these memories of them.  Mema and Nana both seemed to enjoy Thanksgiving so much because their families were home with them.  I guess my mom is much like them now.  I'm thankful for all the many wonderful memories of Thanksgiving past with my grandparents, even the one where I gave the dogs the food I was supposed to put in Mema's refrigerator outside.  Why I fed it to the dogs I still don't know.  But they always love sharing that story every year.  I'm thankful for all the people I've shared Thanksgiving with in the past and they are no longer a part of my daily life.  I'm also thankful for all the friends I do have now, and they are with family.

Extra Credit: Pumpkin pie vs. pecan pie -- which do you choose for Thanksgiving dessert?  I'll take both, but I love pecan pie.  My mema made the best pecan pie, and my Nana made the best pumpkin pie.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Derek,
I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving! You are truly a very light-filled beautiful person.
Maryanne

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Have a fabulous time in Georgia.

((Big Thanksgiving Hug)) to you - Happy Holiday!!

Tilly xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Deviel:

It's funny how we never can get away from those stories our families love to tell about us and how they embellish on the even more each time they share them.  I guess that's what built our character and sense of humor.  Have a great Thanksgiving and stay safe.

Marlene-PurelyPoetry

http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful holiday, Derek, and have an extra slice of pecan pie for me. Tina  http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme