Saturday, May 22, 2004

The Heart of George MacDonald

I was telling Gbgoglo about the writings of George MacDonald from "The Heart of George MacDonald.  His views are awesome, and they have sure helped me see things in a new light.  We ask God to father us, and to tell us our true name, this is something I've been working on, and will continue working on.  I've noticed on my journey that I related well to Jesus and to "God" but not so good to God as Father.  It's not hard to figure out why.  Father has been a source of pain and disappointment to me... to many of us.  Then I read this from "The Heart of George MacDonald":
"In my own childhood and boyhood my father was the refuge from all the ills of life, even sharp pain itself.  Therefore I say to son or daughter who has no pleasure in the name Father, you must interpret the word by all that you have missed in life.  All that human tenderness can give or desire in the nearness and readiness of love, all and infinitely more must be true of the perfect father-of the maker of fatherhood."

What kind of father do you think God is?

I know it's time to allow God to father me.  We all learn out of intimacy with the Father.  After all, who can give us the name we're searching for.  God alone.  For no one but God sees who we are.  When I think of this there is a little guilt.  Yes God sees me.. and what He see's is my sin.  But I think that's not the way I should look at it.  My sin has been dealt with.  He's removed it from us.  Our sins have been washed away.  Washed it white as snow, isn't that how the song goes.  When God looks at us He doesn't see our sin, He has not one condemning thought towards us.  We have a new heart.  I remember something from the bible but don't quote me, but it went something like, he will remove our heart of stone and give us a heart of flesh and put spirit in us.  A new heart.  I feel like the tin man in "The Wizard of Oz."  A new heart feels really good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well done.  I happen to be talking to a neighbor today and he loves George MacDonald.  He is going to let me borrow one of his books.  Thanx for the title mentioned here.  Enjoy your Sunday...gloria