Thursday, May 5, 2005

Remembering Dizz

For the last week memories of an old friend have been flooding back, before I moved to Jacksonville, I was living in Valdosta, and I had some friends living here in Jacksonville, and kept getting these reports that there was someone here that favored me a lot, some even said they thought it was me.  I kept hearing about this person.  Then I moved here and I met this guy.  He came up to me and said are you the one that everyone has been saying looks like me.  I told him well they told me you looked like me.  I could see a resemblence.  You can't really see it in this picture, but we did look a lot alike.  I thought the world of him.  We became good friends and I even would try and fashion myself after him, but he would always come up to me and say you may look like me, but I'm the pretty one.  I have many good memories of Dizz, when he left Jacksonville, my partner at the time David and I gave him a big going away party.  I didn't see him that much after he moved.  But every year since 1991 he sends me his famous Christmas card, with an update on him and what's been up.  I saw him a few years ago on vacation and we caught up again.  My favorite story he told was of his tattoo on his shoulder.  Three wooden crosses, a big one in the middle and two smaller ones on the side.  The cross on one side was in another color, it was the cross of Dismas.  He told me how he was named after the thief Dismas that was beside Jesus on the cross.  He told me the story, I had heard as a boy, but never had heard a name.  He was the thief that took Jesus to be his savior before he died on the cross, one of the last people Jesus witnessed too before he died.  And he went with Jesus to be with His Father in Paradise.  Well the email I got was telling me they had given my ole friend his last rights, he died Tuesday.  There was a light in Dizz's eyes, I'll never forget, I know that light came from within.  I missed him when he left Jacksonville, and I'll miss him even more now, and those Christmas cards, no one has sent me a Christmas card every year for 13 years in a row, except my mom.  I remember his eyes lighting up when he spoke of his mother also.  There were times in the last year I felt him trying to tell me something when we chatted online, he told me he had was losing his sight, but I just wasn't listening to him, I guess I just  wouldn't let myself listen.  He was trying to tell me, but I would change the subject, to me, and he would listen to all that was going on in my life.  I wish I could have listened more.  But sometimes it's hard doing that on the computer.  I remember the last time I saw him and the big hug he gave me, and the big hug I gave him.  I just didn't realize that was going to be the last hug I got or gave to him.  My thoughts and prayers are with he and his family.  I still see his smiling face telling me he is the pretty one, you were!

And he said unto Jesus, "Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom."
And Jesus said unto him, "Verily I say unto thee, today shalt thou be with me in paradise."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss. I am also sorry that all of us do not live today as if it is our last. This is a good reminder. Anne

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss, hon, but you learned from it, didn't you. That is what matters. I think the two words I never want to have to say is, "IF ONLY>"
I try to embrace every moment as it comes. You're in my prayers, Derek, and so is your friend's family. Love you. *Barb*

Anonymous said...

Hi Derek!  I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, Dizz.  What beautiful memories you have of him.  Thank you for sharing some of them.  I have not been doing to well lately.  I miss not reading my friends' journals.  I will be back to catch up on yours.  You touched my heart with the comment you left on my journal and you honor me with your comparison.  You are such a blessing, Derek!  You do your mama proud.  Wishing her a wonderful Mothers Day.  My love and prayers to you as always, gloria  

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Derek.  It sounds like he was a nice person.
Carol

Anonymous said...

Derek, I`m so sorry for your loss.
V

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry and blessings to his family. He sounds like a wonderful man and I am pretty sure that he will watch over you when you need him. It is a very sad loss. A hug from here, judi

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry!!  what a beautiful tribute you gave him!
becky

Anonymous said...

Derek,
I am so sorry for your loss.  This entry was beautiful!  Thank you for sharing Dizz with us.
Tracy