Wednesday, September 28, 2005

wednesday thoughts

Seems I havn't written as much lately.  Not sure why, just resting up I guess.  We had such a wonderful weekend with my family.  I was on the phone with my mom while I was home, the day of her birthday, she had the music blarring and it was very upbeat. She said she had the television turned off  because she was tired of all the sadness of everything on the news.  Not a day seems to pass without a reminder that our earthly lives can end at any moment.  All we have to do is read the obituary column.  One message comes through loud and clear.  We're here today, but we may be gone tomorrow!  What is my life?  Is it even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away?  Is our only certainty, then, the sobering prospect that at any moment we may be thrust into eternty.  I don't think so.  I have a diffrent anchor in my soul.  I've said it before that nothing seems for certain. But there is one thing for certain.  My faith is for certain.  I have another photoshoot on Saturday.  I also got a promotion at work.  Well I'm beat folks, hope you have a great week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Derek.  And YOU have a great week, too.   Tina

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you had such a great time. It is true the news has become way to depressing. So many lives affected. Congrats on the promotion!
Hugs *Louise*

Anonymous said...

Derek,

I couldn't agree with your mother more regarding watching the news. It's either become too saddening to watch because of the hurricane coverage or too irritating to watch (politics, DeLay, Supreme Court nominations, etc.). Music has done the trick for me, too. In regards to the obituaries, I have my fears about my parents. I thought I would "grow out" of the fear of losing them, but they're hitting their late 60's and 3 of my 4 grandparents died at age 78. So the fear of losing them hits home. Thank God I live only a block away from them so I see them as much as possible.

BIG CONGRATS on your promotion! And good luck with the photoshoot on Saturday!

Steve

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the promotion!  You are right, our life expectancy is unknown.  Seize the day!
http://journals.aol.com/chrisuab/noseriously