Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I'm usually full

One of my fond memories of my Mema is when she prepared these huge meals for all the hungry farm workers during the time of harvesting.  I still don't see how she did it, I can't remember anyone helping her but there may have been but I remember her always saying I'm not sure if there is going to be enough for everyone.  All the family would clean up inside and the farmhands would use the spicket outside.  They would all eat picnic style outside sitting on the grass, and we would eat inside, sometimes I would take my desert outside and talk to them.  I never really had to work hard when I was little at Mema's, I got to just be a little boy and observe.  I don't remember Mema smiling a bunch, but I remember this look of satisfaction when everyone told her how good it was and the fact that she always made just the right amount to go around.  Most of the time she would even make more than enough.

Makes me think today how we struggle to feel that way about our weekly resources, you know, gas, groceries, bills, all that stuff.  At the end of meal or the end of pay week, do we really believe that we've been given enough?  How does it go?  "Give us this day our daily bread".  How much do we expect to be supplied?  As much as we want or as much as we need?

I think about how I eat now.  Sometimes I don't eat just to be satisfied, I eat to the point of being stuffed.  So am I being greedy?  Why is it I'm always wanting a little more of everything.  I want more money, more this more that.  But maybe what I have is exactly the right amount.  Let me be more thankful for what I do have.  Thank you for what I have.

Derek

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love reading about your memories. So much food for thought in them. Hugs, hon.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

A wonderful Mema, Derek!
V

Anonymous said...

Damn, are you psychic? We plan to go to mema's (daddy's) this weekend and have the birthday party for the boys and the Enos's at Daddy's. I talked to Dena about us having enough food...she said, Sherry, we always have enough food...more than enough. I now have this vision of us alll sitting outside eating. I really am Mema!!!!!!!!!! Okay, you've given me my journal entry!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

She must have been an awesome cook! Its hard to cook for a large group!

Anonymous said...

You know, my grandma is called Mema by my boys.  She's 86 and your description of your mema sounds so much like mine.  Didn't smile much, but she got such pleasure out of feeding the family at big gatherings.  She's not one to offer praise to you, EVER.  However, once I got married, I just naturally started hosting the family gatherings.  At our last one, I overheard her telling my uncle, her brother, that she had taught me well and I was doing a fine job.  An indirect compliment, but I'll take it.  Thanks for making me remember.  

Chris
http://journals.aol.com/jeroldssis/ItsAllAboutMeIthink

Anonymous said...

"maybe what I have is exactly the right amount"
Exactly! Now if we could remember this and just give thanks instead of asking for more. What a beautiful entry, Derek. Thank you for the gentle reminder for me.
Laura

Anonymous said...

Great entry!  I think we are given what we need.  For most people things do not come easy, but rather are worked for, so the 'extras or more' we want are there for us to seek out.. for a reason.  That is how we become who we are :)
YIKES!  Did I just get really deep?  LOL

Anonymous said...

    Alot of truth here, Derek.  How much is enough?  How much is too much?  We are always looking for a balance, aren't we ?  Tina

Anonymous said...

Derek
I had to come back and post this.  I got to work today and flipped my calendar to today's date and this was the saying that appeared.  I just had to come back and share it :)

Ask an angel what she has and she will say, 'enough.'  Ask an angel what she needs and she will say, 'nothing.'  Ask an angel what she knows and she will say, 'only love.'

Anonymous said...

This is a beauttiful entry.  Sometimes I forget to give thanks for all that I have.  That is something I really need to change.
Tami