Monday, August 29, 2005

Sharing your toys

Friday night when I got there my unexpected thing was Eli spending the night, I had his birthday present in the car, but was going to wait till his party to give it too him, I had picked up Autumn a little glow worm like thing to play with.  Of course they had to share it.  Which they were both had there few minutes of play with it, until the question from Autumn was, can I keep this at my house.  She was looking for ownership.  Of course I told her sure, because I wasn’t wanting to start with a fuss, minutes later they came to an agreement, Eli pulled one of the slinky legs off the worm, and was satisfied with just one of the legs.  I read this from someone’s journal, can’t remember who’s.

 

The Toddler’s Creed

If I want it, it’s mine

If I give it to you and change my

Mind later, it’s mine.

If I had it a little while ago,

It’s mine

If it’s mine, it will never belong to anyone else, no matter what.

If we are building something  together, all the pieces are mine,

It is mine.

 

I got to see this a lot this weekend,  Autumn with Eli.  I finally solved the problem, I gave Eli his present early so he could have something of ownership.  Then it was funning watching him with his birthday presents and Ethan trying to play with his stuff.  It was fine for him to play with it while he was playing with something else.  But not when he was playing with it.   I guess we expect to see this in kids, but I can’t stand to see it in adults.  Although I have seen it in myself.   Funny how at times in our lives we don’t think of ourselves as greedy, or many other things, but we look back on it and see how we were selfish or greedy.  I can think of lots of other adjectives I’ll leave out.   I’ve been asking for a new giving heart.  Not the heart I had as a kid when it came to sharing my toys.  I want to live more grateful for all I have, because there is so much I have been selfish for in the past.  More thought later, still at work, these is what I jotted down on my lunch break.

No comments: